Sunday, July 29, 2007

db

I went to a concert tonight. The artist was Derron Bell, and his instrument was the marimba. He was a roommate of mine back in college, and I hadn't seen him since he sang and played at our wedding. To say that God made a way for me to be there is an understatement. I didn't have a sitter for the kids until yesterday, and then today her dog died and I didn't think I would get to go. I tried a last resort (only because I had used them so much lately and I didn't want to be overkill), and they said they would gladly take the kids.

The music he played was so healing for me. It was wonderful to see him again, and more wonderful to hear him play. He is so gifted, and to watch him is to see music in motion. As I sat next to Russell I felt my spirit lift, one song at a time. I could honestly listen to Derron play all day long. Then as he got ready to play his last song on the program, memories started flooding back. The last song was "Time in a Bottle", and it was one that we sang and listened to a lot when we were roommates. Not only is Derron the most talented percussionist I have ever heard, but I also like to listen to him sing. Imagine my pure delight when he began to play and then to SING this last song. I don't know why it was so healing for me, but it was. I guess that is part of what music is supposed to do.

Anyway, I know it is still one day at a time for me, but I also know that this evening was God's special gift to me to help me on my journey. Thank you Derron for sharing your gift. Thank you God for giving Derron his gift to share.

I was truely blessed!

No comments: