Friday, July 27, 2007

My beginnings

So my life began under some cloudy skies. My brother had just gotten out of the hospital after a battle with Spinal Meningitis. He lost his hearing, but he was lucky. He could have lost his life. So then I was born. I would say I had a pretty good childhood. I was definitly daddy's girl, which made sense later. I was a kid that could usually be found up a tree. I loved to read and I would get lost in the story lines. I still do that these days. I was a pretty good kid, and usually stayed out of trouble. There was some craziness that went on in my house, but we survived it.
When I was 15 my dad got a job that moved us from my lifelong home in Beaverton, Oregon all the way to Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. To say I was not happy would be an understatement. I cried and screamed and begged for a way to stay. What did I need cowboy hats and farms for? I had what I wanted in Oregon.

Of course, we do not always need what we want. The move to Oklahoma was the best thing that ever happened to me. I found a church that I liked, though I was the only one in my family to go. It seemed that a church in Oregon had hurt the rest of my family, and so they chose to let the mistakes of people come between them and a relationship with God. I began to feel at odds with the rest of my family. I was bullheaded and didn't know how to share God's love with them. I judged them and got frustrated when they judged me. I handled it very poorly, but I know that God has forgiven me for that, even if they haven't.

When we first moved, my mom began to look for ways for me to meet people. She did really try to take care of me. One thing she found for me was an an audition for a gospel choir called The Ambassador Choir. When I went to the audition, they took no time in telling me that anyone under 18 auditioned for the children's choir. I said that was fine as long as I got to sing. So they let me audition. When I finished singing, they asked me to wait out in the hall. After about 2 minutes, they asked me back into the room. Then they asked if I would like to join the choir. Not the kids choir, the adult choir. I was thrilled. I was only 15. I ended up being the youngest by 5 years. I was a little shocked when I walked into the first rehearsal. One glance told me I was one of 3 white people in the 100 person choir. But I had found my new home. Those people loved me like I was their own kid. Being in that choir was one of the best experiences in my whole life. Being in that choir led me right into the path of my future husband!

No comments: