Tuesday, July 31, 2007

God is in the details

God is in the little stuff. He is in the big stuff too. Pretty much, God is in every moment, if we will just open our eyes to see Him.

Two weeks ago I was preparing to go to New Orleans on a mission trip with my chuch. We bussed down there Wednesday morning, got there that night, and spread a little of God's love on the way. I also got the call that Kathy had gone to be with Jesus on that ride. God knew I would need that group of people at that exact moment to help me through. It was a most amazing experience to have perfect strangers loving me like they had known me their whole lives. Anyway, while we were in New Orleans we did a myriad of things, but my favorite part was meeting and loving the homeless that were living right across the street from City Hall. These people were amazing! Most that I talked to were not homeless before Katrina, but the rising cost of rent kept them on the streets, even if by chance they still had a job. But the heart of these people could only be matched by the heart of the team that was there to love them. We couldn't help but focus in on our new friends. We just wanted to love them and help them any way we could.

The best part of the entire mission is that we have not let it end! One man, Fraser, we were able to bus up to Missouri for a job up there. Now we are on a "Free Willie" quest. There was a man named Willie who actually led us to City Hall and is the reason we met all our new friends. Now we are trying to get Willie up to OKC and get him on his feet up here. Another family that was on the street has gotten the help they need to get off the streets. God didn't want our mission to end just because we came home, and we are listening to His call. It is the most amazing thing I have ever had the honor to take part in (other than my family), and the thing of it is, that we as Christ-followers are all meant to live like this. Helping those around us to feel God's love and power and grace. It is what we are all called to do, to live in reckless abandon for HIM.

God was in every detail of that trip and what has become of it. God is in every detail of my life, from where I was when I got the call, to Derron's recital, to who I met at the bookstore tonight. God is in everything. From the movies that my pastor chose for his sermon series, to the next series after this one, "If you only had 30 days to live." If I choose to believe that God is in every detail, then I know my life isn't left to chance. And better yet, I am not in charge.

Every moment with my children is a blessing. Every moment with my husband is an amazing blessing. Every minute I am here on this earth I want to be doing something that is meaningful for the purpose and the Glory of God. If God is in the details, then that is where I want to be too.

No comments: